View Single Post

Old 10-07-2013, 11:56 PM

Liked 211 Times in 43 Posts
Default 50 years with my Model 27

50 years ago I was a recent HS graduate living in San Diego, and working part time at a local sporting goods store. I had started shooting a few years earlier and already had a couple of guns, including a slightly used Model 19 Combat Magnum with the 4" barrel. One day I went to the main store in downtown SD, and looked at the gun counter, and saw a gorgeous Model 27, with the 8 3/8" barrel, TH and TT. It was also slightly used, but in almost mint condition. I think it was around $100, so I quickly decided to sell the Model 19 and buy the Model 27. The serial # is S208xxx, so I think it was made around 1960 and is a no dash.
After I bought it, I quickly decided to add Target Stocks and also a white outline rear sight. I also had started to re-load, so the .357 was shot a lot in the backcountry and desert, east of SD. I spent 3 years in Alaska in the AF, and the 27 was always with me. I really liked the long tube and wanted to extract every last ounce of velocity, so never minded carrying it, even though it wasn't always convenient. My greatest thrill shooting it was with a good friend, around 1982. We were in the desert and hunting jack rabbits, and one ran a ways and then stopped. I sat down and used my knees as a rest and squeezed off a shot at a legitimate 100 yards and the rabbit was toast.
Here are some pictures of my favorite gun 50 years after I bought it..........
Terry

Last edited by thardgrave; 10-07-2013 at 11:58 PM.
The Following 46 Users Like Post: