View Single Post

Old 10-11-2013, 02:35 PM

Liked 778 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model520Fan View Post
WARNING: Aside from the usual warning about going slow on metal removal, you should know that the proper sight height will vary with bullet weight, and sometimes even with different cartridges with the same bullet weight. It will also vary with the grips on the revolver, and with YOUR grip on the revolver.
I have a 640 and a 642. I have standardized on shooting Buffalo's 125 grain standard pressure jacketed hollow point. Both guns shoot low consistently. The solution seems to be machining the front sight lower.

BUT I am ever so reluctant to do so. I am a licensed aircraft mechanic and have been working on metal parts for decades so I am always nervous about cutting metal, you can never add it back to the part. I have had to throw parts in the junk bin several times because I wanted to remove "just" 0.001" more material. Trust me, you can never remove just .001". And resale value drops dramatically if you have removed metal.

I am exploring other ways to adjust the guns so the POI is the same as POA. Maybe a red insert bar at the appropriate place on the front sight would be the answer.

Or maybe, because I tend to be obsessive about pursuing solutions to perceived problems, I should just learn how to hold a little higher and not start grinding on a perfectly good firearm. What a concept!

Last edited by sac-gunslinger; 10-11-2013 at 03:00 PM.