View Single Post

Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwill1911 View Post
Well, before we close the case I must say that I don't believe a nickel plated Model 19 could have been issued. It would have been a private purchase. AFAIK the USAF has never bought Model 19 revolvers and certainly not nickel plated ones. I intend no insult to your dad but memories are tricky things. The Air Force issued Model 15s with 4" barrels and Model 56s with 2" barrels. I don't believe there were any .357 Magnum revolvers or ammunition in the supply chain.
Well, I believe he IS correct. He has owned guns, including 38 special revolvers all his life, and knows a .357 when he sees one. The fact that it WAS a .357, is why it sticks out to him, because everyone knows the USAF issued 38's. In his 20 years, he never saw them issued anywhere else so possibly it was because he was outside the US. Or, possibly it was something they were considering, and got a few in to assess. I found a picture on the web of some different S&W snubbies including a nickel M19, and he immediately pointed it out and said "it was just like that one". Who knows with the government.