View Single Post

Old 10-15-2013, 11:21 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 800 Times in 351 Posts

Much depends on the job intended.
What advantage is gained from packing an N frame?
Well I would say accuracy, range penetration and power are the assets.
The old N frames served the Highway Patrols of out nation well in the past. In three and a half up to six inches im many calibers. Mostly .357 I think.
They were favored for use against barriers and what the 158 grain .357 would and could do. If in a situation where you are not able to take a long gun along I would opt to pack a 4 inch N since it would do its job at a greater range than most semi autos out there. Not that extended range defense use is very common but it could happen in a rural setting or even in urban America. Thoughts of the Texas Tower sniper come to mind. The officers had 38s and shotguns and the assign was pretty well out of range. Civilians grabbed the deer guns from their trucks and pinned the sniper down and saved some lives. A model 27 would have been handy or even a 29.
I like my Glock too but sometimes it won't serve the task at hand. Well maybe a 10mm could but I don't even know anyone carrying one today. I traded mine many years back. There were no concealment holsters available for it then. If they were it was a secrete.
If my wife ever packs her 4 inch nickle M 58 I will post it here. I will be giving it to her on her 41st birthday next April.