View Single Post

Old 10-25-2013, 12:23 AM

Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meef View Post
Finally!

Oh happy day - it works!

The problem is that the channel in the MP10 charging handle is much deeper than the Channel in the Raptor. All other dimensions (except for that nub at the end) appear to be the same for all practical purposes.

And here's all it took for me to do it....

(Warning: to find anybody less mechanically capable than me you'd have to advertise on the Internet. So if I can do it, I can't imagine who couldn't - BUT, there definitely is the potential to mess up your expensive new non-fitting Raptor charging handle.)

1. - Dremel tool
2. - Dremel bit #100 (it has a round 1/4" diameter head)
3. - Patience
4. - Patience
5. - See number 4 & 5 - repeatedly

First - I removed the nub on top of the charging handle using a small file.

Second - I took the Dremel and "slowly" proceeded to deepen the channel in the charging handle from the front end (end near the barrel) for a length of about 4" or so with the charging handle secured in a vise.

Third - I put the charging handle and bolt back in the upper and checked to see if I was making any progress. Still binding? Back to the vise.

Fourth - I repeated the second and third steps over and over and over and over again. There's where the patience comes in.

I was more concerned about ruining the new charging handle than I was with getting the job done quickly. Likely anybody else could have done it faster, but it works and that was the goal. YMMV.

Now it's what I wanted in the first place.

Rainier should either make one of these specifically for the MP10 (like Tacticool has suggested), or state on their website that it probably won't work without modification.
meef,
this is the route we will probably take. Thought I had a couple of local avenues for the machine tool route, but neither looks like it will pan out.
My son thought this would be the easiest route anyway. I'm trying to teach him to get things done with the resources at hand, instead of the ideal/perfect route that is easy. Learning to improvise and adapt is much more a useful life skill than having things handed to you.
He is in Civil Air Patrol, and that has been a huge plus for his life and ours. CAP teaches discipline, respect, and
responsibility, and has influenced the way my son looks at things, mainly for the better.
The Following User Likes This Post: