View Single Post

Old 10-25-2013, 02:15 PM

Liked 763 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Vermont View Post
....I'm always concerned about loading HBWC to hot, for obvious reasons, and it appears to me 3.5 gr might be a little much. Other thoughts?
I goofed up recently and started loading some newly-acquired Speer HBWC's without switching to the proper rotor in my Little Dandy powder measure. I'd been loading SWC's & DEWC's using the same 4.5 gr W231 charge & was used to just pouring the powder in and going. (Now I store the little dandy without a rotor, which forces me to stop and THINK! about what I'm loading before proceeding)
Anyway, I loaded about a half-dozen over 4.5 W231 before I realized my mistake. I don't have a bullet-puller set-up for disassemblng this round, so I thought I'd take a chance & single-load them into my vintage model 60 & give it a whirl. They shot fine-- no sign of skirt separation or any other trouble, and they seemed accurate enough. I later loaded another two dozen with the same results.
I don't know if I'll be loading any more like that, but I'm not as worried about it as I was. I think the Speer HBWC has been redesigned some- the cavity is now cone-shaped which I think would be less probe to separation than a cylindrical cavity.
And although I know they're different bullets, my Hornady manual #3 shows a 4.2 GR load of W231 for their HBWC. All of the Hornady HBWC loads tested at 900-950 from a 4" model 15, which is "full charge" (as Ed Harris puts it) in my book.

Last edited by hotrod150; 10-25-2013 at 08:49 PM.