View Single Post

Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM

Liked 4,843 Times in 1,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief38 View Post
In 1983 I walked into Charles Greenblatt's Gun Store in Commack, Long Island to but a new 6" Python. The sales person was Louie Greenblatt himself and when he showed me one and told me the price was $475 my stomach was churning! I was about to do an about face and leave, but I guess Louie realized the Pythons was out of my league at the time so he said in his grumbly voice - "wait here kid I want to show you something".

Louie brought me out a 6" Smith & Wesson Model 586 which was relatively new at the time and the designers must have been going after the Python market judging from the full underlug Python barrel it has. He told me he would sell me the gun for $265 and throw in a pistol rug too. I noticed that the action was VERY smooth, crisp, and was almost as good as the Python's. The Target grips had just enough character to grab my eyes attention and within 2 minutes the gun was being processed and on paper.

Well that's my Python story, but NOW I wished I had coughed up enough coin to buy the Python - UNDER $500 BUCKS, can you imagine?!! I still have my M586 and the action is as smooth as silk and still performs 100%. I have shot 10's of thousands of rounds through it and it is still in perfect time, still looks great, and I have never regretted buy it, but what I do regret is NOT buying a Python.

Each time I look at them the prices jump another few hundred bucks and I always wonder if & when the Python bubble will burst.

One of these days............
Technically, factoring inflation into the equation, Python prices have remained steady, not risen.