View Single Post

Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Liked 1,134 Times in 521 Posts

Those (the majority) who say a round in the chamber makes you more ready -- are right. I agree it does.

For those who carry with a round in the chamber, that is right for them.

For me, I'll trade off a little readiness for an increase in safety. And I try to stay alert and aware, to avoid situations that could be potentially dangerous.

There are lots of hypothetical circumstances, and they can be used to justify carrying a weapon with a round in the chamber. If those are realistic scenarios for you, that sounds like a fine approach. My most-likely scenarios that I have in my noggin are not that short-fused.

#1 concern for me is an active shooter. I remember the statements of someone who was in Luby's Cafeteria, who said, if I had just had a gun, I could have ended that. There was a mass murder in Luigi's Restaurant when I lived in Fayetteville. I want a handgun when I go to the mall, or to a restaurant. I think I have time to chamber a round in that case.

I think the best advice is to consider your realistic threat scenarios, and plan accordingly. I am not saying those who carry a round in the chamber are wrong; I am saying that is not right for me most of the time (and there are times when I would chamber a round before going down that road, such as when I go hiking or fishing in an isolated area).