View Single Post

Old 11-24-2013, 09:58 PM

Liked 25,878 Times in 8,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
I do NOT and will NOT recomend using locktite on the ejector rod. As for why, try re-assembling a cylinder that has had the ejector rod locktited. This is a very fine pitch thread and getting the thread started is purely a matter of "feel". Lose that "feel" due to the locktite residue and it's likely that you'll crossthread the joint, which means purchasing a new ejector rod and a new extractor star and then paying a gunsmith to fit and time it to your revolver.

A much simpler and safer option is to tighten it properly. Start by filling the cylinder with fired casings to protect the extractor star. Then fold a bit of old worn out leather belt over the knurling and grasp that with some slip joint household pliers. Note, I mean the common 2 postition pliers, not channel locks. Now wrap the fingers of your other hand around the cylinder and squeeze with the type of grip you would use for shaking hands with a Marine Line Officer. Basically, firm but not stupid firm, this isn't a handshake contest with an enlisted leatherneck. What you are going to do is use that hand holding the cylinder as a slip clutch, so let it slip once the ejector rod is tight. If you find it shoots loose again, squeeze a bit harder next time you tighten it up. Final note is to remember that for revolvers made after 1961 it's a Left Hand thread. One way to spot the left hand thread ejector rods is that all of them have a narrow groove just behind the knurling wide enough you can snag it with a fingernail.
I agree with scooter 100% - NO LOCKTITE - it's NOT needed and can only screw things up. The only thing I do differently is I chuck the Ejector Rod in a Drill Press close to the cylinder face, tighten snugly but don't Gorilla tighten the Chuck. Then simply turn the cylinder to loosen or tighten. Works MUCH BETTER than leather and pliers. It you do not have a Drill Press, use a portable drill chuck. Just make sure not to tighten the Chuck in the knurled area at the tip.

There is NO NEED for the fancy tools & jigs that are sold from Brownell's, Midway, etc. A Drill Press is better, faster and easier and it will NOT screw anything up! I have done this gazillions of times and have never had any issues. Just did TWO M18's this evening! Don't forget the empty cases!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, this method works so well, I assemble the parts with Rig #2 Oil on them and they never work loose. I don't like to leave blued parts free of rest preventative. This method has never failed me.

Last edited by chief38; 11-25-2013 at 02:30 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: