View Single Post

Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,158 Times in 7,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
This one was bought from the factory about 20 years ago.
It just fits in the coin pocket of my jeans, and has gone through the clothes washer more times than I can remember. I need to clean it up.

When I got this knife I thought about all the things it can be used for... Over the years, this one has served two regular uses-- getting into packages (have I ever told y'all how much I HATE that hard plastic packaging!) and have used the flat edge to adjust many scopes. Could have easily used a dime.

Phil-

I dunno which "flat edge" you used to adjust a scope. Both blades are flat-ground. But there are three screwdrivers on that knife, and they are for turning screws. I bought a used SAK and had to very carefully tap the tip of the main blade with a plastic mallet to straighten it because a prior owner had used it to turn screws. He must have put some effort into it to bend the blade tip. I also have seen blade tips broken on pocketknives, and not just Swiss Army knives. Throwing a knife or using it as a screwdriver are the most common ways in which knives are damaged.

BTW, if a particular SAK lacks a true Phillips - head screwdriver blade like your Tinker model has, the small screwdriver on the can opener will turn most Phillips-head screws.

You may be interested to know that the little cross on the blade tang is the Helvetian Cross from the Swiss flag. The Helvetii were the Swiss tribes through which Julius Caesar had to fight his way en route to Gaul. They later joined to form the Swiss nation.

The little thingee that some think is an umbrella is the stylistic representation of Wilhelm Tell's famous crossbow. It also appeared on Wenger blade tangs. Current SAK's no longer carry that image. I think I'll write the factory and ask why. On the other side of the blade, where yours will read "Switzerland", it now reads "Swiss Made", to ensure that consumers know the knives remain Swiss, not made in China, etc. (This is the explanation given to me by the factory. I didn't guess or get it off the Net.)

I hope this is of interest and may save someone's blade tip from being used as a screwdriver! If you DO ruin a blade, Swiss Army Brands can usually replace it.

Last edited by Texas Star; 11-25-2013 at 06:13 PM.