View Single Post

Old 12-01-2013, 03:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2.5" Victory?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so apologies if my question has already been asked in the FAQs.

I'm trying to identify a pistol that belonged to my grandfather, who died 22 years ago. I believe he got it in the early 1960s at the latest. The numbers match (728776), but there isn't a "V" anywhere. Under the barrel when I swing the cylinder out is the number 6 05 30, which in later models would be a model number, I assume. The barrel is only 2.5 inches, measured from the front of the cylinder, and there is no lug. Interestingly, this pistol does not chamber .38 Special. It almost fits, and can be forced in, but it is obviously chambered for a slightly shorter cartridge.

There's no sign of "Smith and Wesson" on the left side of the barrel. If chopped (which I think it may be), the "Wesson" ought to be visible. The front site looks professionally done. I can find no sign of a re-import stamp, nor have I been able to locate any "S" proof or military acceptance markings, and there is no lanyard swivel, although one could have been removed; it's hard to say for sure.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

Brad

Last edited by Revolver38; 12-01-2013 at 04:11 AM.