View Single Post

Old 12-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Liked 5,504 Times in 2,776 Posts

OK, a few things here. I've been loading .223/5/56mm, both bolt and semi, for over 30 years and have picked up a few things.

1. Skip the small base dies. They overwork the brass to no advantage.

2. Carbide neck expander buttons are worth the money, they reduce case neck stretch and reduce effort.

3. You definately need to trim brass regularly. How often depends upon the chamber(s) in your individual rifle(s) and your loads. Failing to do so can cause excessive pressures. I don't care if you neck size or full length, you're gonna need to trim at some point.

4. The case gauge is a good idea to check loaded ammo dimensions and headspace. You definately need to verify that your die/press setup produces cases within the headspace tolerances. DO NOT bet your rifle/life and limb on the manufacturers instructions on sizing die setup.

5. Based upon experience with 7.62, if I was starting fresh with .223, I'd buy Dillon dies. You get a full length size die (needs the case gauge to properly set), seating die, taper crimp die and a spare carbide expander/decapper. Keep your .223 shell holder with the dies to prevent confusing it with a 9mm and disturbing your settings.

Last edited by WR Moore; 12-10-2013 at 01:23 PM.