View Single Post

Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 PM

Liked 8,915 Times in 2,575 Posts

Not saying the following is representative of the experience with Tulammo, but since folks are saying how they've never had problems, I thought my .380 experience might be of interest.

In the course of shooting a number of different rounds through the new-to-me Browning/Beretta/FN BDA this past July, I shot some some Tulammo 91-gr FMJ and expected blah performance. Similar ammos had been running from 950 to 1050 fps from this gun on that trip; I anticipated the Tula would be on the lower edge of that range. The range was 90°F and at 5950'>sea level, about 10% humidity. The chrono had been working perfectly with previous rounds and with the .22 LR round I use as a standard.

My first shot with the Tula read 1422 fps.

This struck me as crazy; certainly an error. No way that happened.

I erased the shot and took another.

1229 fps. Then 1186.

Then 1412.

Here are a couple of the cases - blurry, alas

I took the ammo out of the mag, and proceeded to a WWB load, which chrono'd perfectly reasonably. Just for kicks, I ran some known-performance .22s thru the SR22 - the chrono was working fine.

Soooooo . . . I sealed up that box of .380 Tulammo and thought maybe I'd try it later in my locked-breech LCP. Never have. It's sitting in my garage still.

Gun was none the worse for the wear - I fired another 50 or so rounds through it after that, with fine results, and many rounds since then. I don't know whether the Tulammo just didn't like the heat or whether it's insanely overpressure. The velocity spread of those four rounds was pretty amazing, all things considering, but then so were the velocities. Folks have speculated that this box received the charge intended for a 9x19 - guess it's possible.

I've not heard of this before, and most Tulammo I've used has been pretty much on the ****** end of performance - not the psychotic side. Maybe this was just a bad lot. I mentioned this over on INGO forum and heard some similar stories, though.

I'd be shocked if Vito's ammo did anything weird - but this was a good reminder to me to keep an eye on the chrono and other performance indicators when shooting less expensive stuff that's not coming from makers we know to operate in legal jurisdictions that take liability seriously.