View Single Post

Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 AM
US Veteran

Liked 39,502 Times in 10,056 Posts

Me once. My dad made up from kits and gave each of us boys a Hawkens style muzzle loader years ago. My one brothers stock got broken somehow and as his had nice adjustable sights and mine didn't I got the barrel in a trade. I didn't do anything with it for a couple years. Then another brother suggested we go deer hunting that year with BP. I said ya but, I want to change my barrel out. We lived couple hundred yards apart in a rural area and I walked home and brought the parts back. We assembled it with the adj sight barrel and he goes "we should bust a cap and clear the barrel". Ok, on goes a cap and sitting at the kitchen table with the but on the floor I leaned the muzzle off to the side and cleared the barrel alright. About crapped. 50 cal hole in the cupboard. Through a roll of garbage bags (shoulda saw them unrolled) and into the corner. Never came out the side of the house. After we calmed down, I called the brother who gave me the barrel and chewed his rear a bit. Then he says, "Price used it last". Price was the brother with the new hole in the cupboard. How do you check a muzzle loader when you don't have a marked ram rod for the barrel? Get ball remover and check it. Don't assume its not loaded either. Never leave a barrel charged either. PRICE

Last edited by steelslaver; 12-13-2013 at 12:22 AM.