View Single Post

Old 12-25-2013, 12:13 PM

Liked 99 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27 View Post
I have a three gun stable of 3rd. Gens. Smiths. Maybe it's time to retire them and go to a different gun maker. I have been a loyal customer for over 25 years,but I can show as much loyalty to S&W as they show to the customer. Maybe its time to go to Kahr or Glock or Sig.
I, too, have three 3rd gen Smiths, all 9mm and they're all in my carry rotation. The oldest gun is almost 20, the newest less than 10 years old. Frankly, I believe they'll retire me rather than the other way around. True, any tool can fail, but in quality tools, failure is rare. Will an S&W Bodyguard .380 or Ruger LCP go 20,000+ rounds? Somehow, I doubt it. Are they designed to last that long? Will a 6906 go 20,000+? Yes. Is it so designed?

To paraphrase Dasheill Hammett, most guns don't break; they get broken --- either through abuse or neglect. For example, I have a 40 year old Colt Combat Commander .45. I bought it used, but I've never replaced a part other than the recoil spring. It shoots as well as the day I bought it. I also have my grandfather's Woodsman. The gun was made in 1933 and as far as I know, it's never had a single piece replaced. It'll still pop a squirrel at 25 yards if I do my part.

Now, granted, there's a difference between a .22, a low pressure .45 and a high pressure 9mm. A well built pistol should be able to carry the load for decades and I've never heard anyone describe the third generation Smith & Wessons as anything less than well built.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: