View Single Post

Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM

Liked 1,170 Times in 549 Posts

So far I have only used the ultrasonic - was not terribly expensive - got a small unit - only holds about 50 or so .223s at a time - which means, depending on how long I spent on the range - I might need to run several batches. I started with vinegar/dish soap - followed by a baking soda rinse - have switched to a store bought cleaning solution. I deprive using universal die first - and the insides get very clean - for some where the outside is not as clean as I would like I roll em a few times in a fine steel wool. I am thinking about getting a tumbler and using corn cob or walnut shell media. Not sure if I will switch to leaving the spent primers in - while that is less work - so far I have broken most of my reloading sessions into multiple phases - deprime and clean one day - let dry overnight - resize and prime the next day - switching between calibers and primers - then separately charge - set - crimp in a single session.
Now that I have the process pretty much under control and working recipes I *might* change the process and clean first then run the 4 hole turret press using all 4 stages in one pass. In some cases it depends on how much time and how many spent cases I have available to me at any given time.
Seems to me that time spent drying a wet wash may not be too terribly different than time spent separating cases from cleaning media and ensuring that none of the media is stuck inside the cases or primer pockets.