View Single Post

Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 AM
US Veteran

Liked 6,195 Times in 2,575 Posts

I bought a Winchester 94AE from a pawn broker on the west coast a couple years ago in 357 mag. The gun looked a little rough, but I apply Proverbs 3: 5-6 and had peace to follow, so I bought it (GB) The pics showed a 3-4 inch abrasion on the barrel, and bidders were scarce. The auction ended mid week, so I didn't have much competition on the auction, and the combination of these factors secured the gun for me at a very good price. When I picked it up from my dealer, the first thing I did was take a general look at the whole rifle; man was it filthy! Next, I grabbed a rag with some form of lubricant on it just to see what the deal was with that abrasion. Well, it just vanished! It was evidently some kind of transfer scuff mark from something the gun had rubbed up against. There was no damage. Then I started (now a little more excited) to check out the rest of the gun. I found the bore, like you, to be the dirtiest in my memory. After MANY passes with brush and patch it was in beautiful shape. I don't think it was ever cleaned, lubed, or had its metal or furniture polished. Each took several times, but under the goop there was lovely bluing, and lustrous walnut; it shoots great too! I think some pawn brokers , etc, just want to turn the stuff over as fast as possible, but I would have looked a little closer at a Winchester.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: