View Single Post

Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 PM

Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

I carried a 5 shot Charter Arms .44 Spl 3 inch Bulldog before I got money and taste and moved up to Colt 1911, heavily customized. Then Kimber came out with everything needed in a factory gun. Lots of 45 ACP revolvers, some I traded for my latest semi-auto hunger. None have worked better than a six shot revolver with 4 inch barrel. 38 oz full frame .45 ACP has taken me there and back for nearly 40 years. No carry or concealment issues. My two four inch S&W are 37.4 oz., Model 22-4 and 625-4. Full moon clip eject all six without fail, the single short coming of most revolvers. Full moon clips decrease the manual dexterity issues of the speed loader. This is a critical under stress issue! The .45 ACP revolver allows all flavors of ammo without feeding worries. I do admit to using SWC 255 grain cast bullets for the first six, since reloading isn't an issue. Slightly round nosed or truncated cone reloads are my follow on loads. I would choose a 10mm auto Glock 20 as my city carry gun, but wouldn't feel naked and afraid with any 4 inch N frame S&W. The 45 ACP revolver never stove pipes, never fails to go to the next cartridge in the event of a round failure, ejects all six for sure or requires a complex clearing drill. Two full moon clips in a speed loader pouch on your belt and you're set. The 22-4 does tend to shoot high so some "Kentucky windage" for the fixed sights might be required. The 325PD is lighter, if you simply must have the latest and greatest. Any old S&W 1917 if in good working order will do, the other improvements are just personal taste. A pancake holster allows more position stability and comfort but an IWB allows slightly more concealability. I have both from Kramer Leather in horse hide, close fitted and no safety strap required.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: