View Single Post

Old 01-10-2014, 02:33 PM

Liked 230 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelslaver View Post
A 5 shot 45 ACP with some alloy would be a sweetheart. I love 45s and moon clips. The clips aree what raises it above the 44 spec. I heard Taurus makes one, but rare. I looked at a S&W 696 in 44 spec with the idea of rechambering and a 45 barrel. The cylinder has enough meat, but the end of the forcing cone would be very thin unless you could bore out the frame hole and go with bigger threads (N frame sized?). Don't think enough meat under the barrel. Couldn't bring myself to spend the money and work it over that much for a maybe. Bummer. It would make such a great gun.
I have one of the Taurus 5 shot 45acp snubbys, stainless, lightweight. Model # 455, I also have two #445 .44 specials.
Several years ago when Taurus discontinued these models, including their "total titanium" .44 specials they were only $250.00 each, at my LGS.

They don't compare to my 696, but they aren't much bigger than a Detective Special, and they are very lightweight. {20 & 22 oz.} I bought one, went out & shot it, was so impressed that I went back for more. I don't much care for Taurus ribber grip, and the action is different than a Smith, which makes for a more difficult switching around. They are nice enough that I decided not to spend the additional money for a nightguard, in lieu of these.

I believe Taurus has come back out with a 445. I don't know how the new ones compare to the old. These are the only Taurus revolvers that I own, and other than the above comments they are very nice guns.

Best Wishes,
Tom
The Following User Likes This Post: