View Single Post

Old 01-13-2014, 02:17 PM
US Veteran

Liked 4,882 Times in 2,025 Posts

I used to use a vibratory cleaner and walnut shells, then I tried the ultrasonic, I finally did the ultrasonic cleaner and then used the vibrator and walnut shells. (didn't deprime because that added an extra round through the press) I came to the conclusion that I was spending too much time on brass preparation considering the amount I shot each week (~1200) so I put the vibrator and walnut shells on the shelf, use the ultrasonic for cleaning metal parts (barrels mostly) and now use a tumbler with stainless steel pins. I started with one of the small tumblers but although I liked the result I was running into the same volume problem so I increased the capacity by converting a small cement mixer into my tumbler. Now I can clean and rinse 1500 case in 2 hours, lay the wet brass on a towel for a couple of days, squirt some lube on them (have to do this with either ultrasonic or ss tumbled brass because it gets them too clean). With my old routine I had to dedicate most of a day to brass prep instead of the 2 hours I do now. I think volume is the deciding factor on which method is used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131121_142925_427 (Small).jpg (79.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131121_154653_034 (Small).jpg (114.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg brass row.JPG (147.2 KB, 65 views)