Thread: Diabetes-- Help
View Single Post

Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 PM

Liked 17,312 Times in 6,653 Posts

Doug M. has some really good advice. When I took my classes, the nurse asked us all to set goals for exercise. The other 6 people all said they'd try to work up to 20 minutes a day. I told her I was going to be consistently doing an hour a day on my bike. I don't think she believed me.

My doctor told me that while Metformin is helpful, exercise is the key to keeping things in check.

I exercise one hour at least 6 days a week. I alternate, doing on hour on the bike one day and an hour on the rowing machine the next. When the weather is good enough, I ride my bike outside for about 1:20. Riding outside is better, but it's also weather dependent.

I haven't lost that much weight, but I've converted a lot of fat to muscle. Fat actually weighs less than muscle, which a lot of people don't know.

What you want to do is burn off as much fat as possible. Metformin helps that process by inhibiting the release of Glycogen from the Liver. That forces your body to use the fat instead. Controlling what you eat is also part of the equation. If you use up enough of the fat, at some point the body will start to burn off the Glycogen as well.

You don't have to live like a monk, but you do have to pay attention to what you eat. What will work for me might not work for you. I've started eating whole wheat or multi grain breads, eat a lot of bran cereal, eat a lot more fruit, cut back on potatoes, and try to eat as little rice as possible. When I do eat rice, I try to get long grain, not white rice.

As others have said, I've cut way back on diet soda and drink ice tea (no sugar) and water.

As others have said, I'm doing this so I can have more time to spend with my grand kids.