View Single Post

Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 PM
US Veteran

Liked 18,784 Times in 4,804 Posts

High School ROTC. First year we drilled with the M1. Second year they replaced them with M14s. Never got to shoot them. Heck they were just drill rifles and had no firing pins. But I did become very familar with both and gained a great appreciation for what fine weapons they were.
1972 and Uncle Sam handed me a M16A1. I soon came to hate the damned things. Yeah, they were accurate. When you could keep the piece of junk working. Still can't bring myself to trust one to this day.
I always wanted a M14 type rifle, but couldn't afford one when I was young. Then in the late 90s at a gun show I ran across a guy with a Federal Ordnance M14A at a price I could afford. Turns out its one of the good ones. Early four digit serial number, excellent reciever and the rest is all G.I. parts. First time I pulled the trigger I was in love!
The rifle had an aftermarket laminated target stock. It sure was pretty, but dadgum it was heavy! A couple of years ago I swapped it out for a Springfield composite stock. That took about 2 pounds off of it right there.
Sadly aging eyes and iron sights don't work real well together. So now it has a scope. But that old rifle will still shoot 1/2" or better at 100 yards.
My younger son spent his last two years in the National Guard as a Designated Marksman. So he's kind of adopted the old Fed Ord for himself. No problem. Last year I bought myself a Socom 16.

This pic is a little out of date. The Fed Ord now wears a 3X9 scope and the scout scope has moved to the Socom.
The Following User Likes This Post: