View Single Post

Old 01-21-2014, 03:10 PM

Liked 725 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilibreaux View Post
As far as I know there is "only one" S&W that fills the bill. Doesn't sound like you want to be presented with choices, only confirmation.
Personally I think you should look at the M460. It's a ".45", it's a Smith & Wesson, it's a "revolver" and though somewhat heavier, not so very much bulkier than an N frame! It comes in a 5" barrel model and can chamber the .45ACP using Moon clips (aftermarket mod), but can also chamber the .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and of course the .460 S&W Magnum. Due to it's size, weight, and compensator you can EASILY shoot powerful rounds with amazingly low recoil.
For the weight, the 460 is a poor choice. Especially when you could be tasked with firing it inside a building, the ability to chamber anything else is moot save maybe the .45LC which can be done in a 625 or 25. The other cartridges are very good performers, but without the use of hearing protection, would effectively disable the defender. I love to shoot the 460 with .45 LC cowboy loads and it is a non recoiler, but a very bulky and awkward self defense tool.

I second the 325 Night Guard if you can find one. That seems like a great weapon. Should you require a larger gun, the 625 JM would be a great servant and give you slightly more favorable velocity and with radius. I have one and have carried it a lot. No worries about the size and it's very reassuring.