View Single Post

Old 01-22-2014, 12:58 PM

Liked 1,264 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine49guy View Post
Very pretty in nickel !

Your 27-2 is a "Transitional" gun with features of the P&R 27-2 and NON P&R 27-3 revisions.
You said you weren't sure what the transitional status did to your guns value,
IMO it doesnt help but but consider this,
Before 1960 the four screw Model 27 had RH ejector rod threads,
In 1960 the Model 27-1 had the 4 screw frame of the 27 (no dash) and the LH threaded cylinder/ ejector rod of the Model 27-2 that would appear 1 year later (kinda suggesting the dash 1 revision was a transitional model )
The 27-1 fetches a hefty premium because it was made in low numbers and collectors want rare revisions ,
On the other hand in the case of the transitional 27-2 it does not add a premium because S&W didn't add a revisional change ,
If you understand that P&R features are considered more desirable among S&W purists & collectors removing one of those features (pinned barrel) = less desirable.

Perhaps if S&W had given the transitional 27-2s their own revision those one year transitional 27-3's might have been considered rare and collectable,
Who knows if 30 years from now collectors will look for rare "Transional 27-2's"...only time will tell.
Yeah, I kinda expect that it would be considered less desirable by today's collectors, but I also paid less for it and I think it's kinda cool. Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm not thinking it's rare and more valuable.

Thanks for the information.