View Single Post

Old 01-24-2014, 12:29 AM

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

This seems the place to go to find out about Terriers, so here I go.

I have my grandfathers S&W Terrier and I would like to know as much about it as possible (date of manufacture, etc). It isn't stamped as a Model 32. It has a coil main spring instead of flat (no tension screw). But what confuses me about it is that it seems to have two sets of serial numbers. The numbers on the bottom of the strap are 71623. The number of the barrel and cylinder are also 71623. However the yoke is stamped 91498. Also the frame under the yoke is stamped 91498, with a larger 6 stamped above it and a small 1 (or maybe a 4, looks more like 1, but made by a 1 with a line at the bottom, vs the 1 in the serial number) stamped under it. Since the frame under the yoke and the back strap are all one piece, it means the frame is stamped with two different serial numbers.

My thoughts were that at some point it was sent back to S&W for repair, and the yoke was replaced. Then the factory stamped matching numbers on the frame and yoke to show that yoke mated to that frame? Any way to tell when the repair occurred from the extra numbers?

What can you guys tell me about it?

Thanks!

Pictures below:

Last edited by KYThrill; 01-24-2014 at 12:32 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: