View Single Post

Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 AM

Liked 84 Times in 51 Posts

One of these days I'll take a real picture. Still haven't gotten around to firing off a round. I seem to recall that perhaps this didn't have the safety block. All I actually remember is something about the safety block, from this forum including pics, so half a moon and two singles w/hammer resting on empty hole. This was sold as a five digit SN. However, further inspection revealed that in spite of the actual six digit SN being in four separate areas an assembly number inside the crane was used.

An easy enough mistake I suppose though as I recall the original listing pre-auction was indeed the correct SN. Anywho, after contacting the appropriate government agency, incorporating my tax dollars at work, a letter was expedited admitting the error.

You cannot see from the profile, but the stags have a palm swell on the left side. Intentionally or not they were made for a southpaw. Also of note is instead of being flat on the heel they have around 30* angle. Not sure if this was the original cut or perhaps to repair a chip. It could have been that material was running out or it was cut to help prevent chipping in future use.[ETA: I also thought that maybe the angle on the butt was cut to prevent the stag from digging into a gent of generous girth whilst holstered.]

Reblue w/obvious wire wheel buffing behind the blast shield. Ordinance bomb stamp, "United States Property", US Model 1917, in spite of cut lanyard bolt, & all SN still legible. Matching SN 1190XX w/lot of colour on frame, not quite as much on cylinder or right side of brl. The rifling shows damage in what I speculate was a flat blade screwdriver clearing a squib.

The odd aspect is a capital R stamped under the ordnance bomb, cylinder face & on the brl flat next to the frame. I'm not sure as to the intent/meaning. All in all I've grown fond of this example as slightly modified to taste. I paid more because of the stags and the 5 digit SN that didn't pan out. I could have returned it for refund, but chose to keep the sidearm.

It might now be worth what I paid!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2344117_2HT0ZUHNO.jpg (19.9 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Nicksterdemus; 02-24-2014 at 10:32 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: