View Single Post

Old 01-24-2014, 04:00 PM

Liked 3,702 Times in 1,242 Posts

I scares the jeebers out of me when I think about all the things I was able to do in my years from grade school to age twenty-five that are impossible today. When I went to High School in the early 1980's you could:
-bring a pocket knife to school and the teacher would ask to use it, not confiscate it and call the police
-Have your deer rifle in the car so you could change into hunting gear in the school bathroom and catch the last two hours of hunting time after school.
-have elementary students walk several blocks to a bus stop and stand there waiting for the schoolbus. Today they pick-up at every corner or have a designated parent to guard the kids.
-hang out on a street corner just to talk and watch what was going on. Now the only kids on street corners are drug dealers or gang bangers.
-fill up your car, get a big bag a potato chips and a six pack of Coke and still get change from a $20
-Have a field party "kegger" where you stood around a fire drinking Old Milwaukee (yuck) from a red solo cup while listening to Led Zeppelin blasting from someones car stereo. -plinking in the woods, at old strip mines and dumps.
-Local cops who would see you had a burned out taillight and just tell you to get it fixed instead of writing you a ticket and demanding to search your vehicle.
-GC Murphy, Woolworths, Mc Crory's, W.T.Grant, Ames, and other cool stores that all had different inexpensive stuff.