View Single Post

Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM
US Veteran

Liked 23,841 Times in 6,204 Posts

"What is the most over-rated handgun IYO?"
Some of the Kimber 1911s

"Why?"
This is my opinion based of some of the things I've seen at the range. I know that lots of folks have, shoot and love their Kimbers but I hear and see a lot of them that have a lot of assorted problems some models more than others I think. Some of them you have to pay high dollar for and then spend another small fortune to get them to run right. The instructor that did my first CHL renewal qualification is a big time Kimber fan. Yet she can hardly get through a full magazine with out a stove pipe or failure to feed on any of her 3 Kimbers. Even though I KNOW they make some fine pistols I'd never spend the money for one because I just see too many that have problems. For that kind of money I need a sure thing.

"What is the most under-rated handgun IYO?"
Glocks, by far.

"Why?"
I have 4 of them with about 22K rounds between them and never the slightest problem, not ever. I know they are ugly. But they are tough and reliable and accurate right out of the box. If you check some of the reports of problems with Glocks you will find that the owner has "tinkered" with it. Unless you have one that you want to turn into a race gun or set up for competing you don't need to touch it. My advice is to take it out of the box new. A small dab of oil on the side rail cuts in the slide and get busy. the trigger and the recoil spring and the ejector are fine just like Gaston designed 'em. I have no idea where all the hate comes from but I suspect that it comes mostly from folks who have little to no experience with them and believe too much of what they read on the internet. Some truly don't like the grip angle or the trigger and that's fine. there is nothing on heaven or earth that EVERYone likes. I just believe that my 10 years experience with them proves to ME that they are excellent pistols. The haters can go on and hate. I KNOW the truth. And that is MY 2 cents worth.