View Single Post

Old 02-01-2014, 01:36 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,724 Times in 6,040 Posts

I have owned three P.38s over the years. The first one, a Walther '43 example, had a bulged barrel. I cut the barrel off behind the bulge, crowned it, affixed a new front sight, and turned it into an ersatz "snubby" P.38 Kurz. It shot beautifully. I eventually traded it to a friend who thought it was way cool.

The second I laughingly refer to as an MP.38. It was a Spreewerke '45, and I knew I took a chance buying it. Knowing that the safeties on these late guns can crystalize from improper heat treating and the sear engagement could deteriorate, when I took it to the range, I took the precaution of loading only two rounds. Good thing I did. The gun doubled. Since the previous owner had personally guaranteed it, I returned it to him with the story. Again, we both refer to it today as "that MP.38." I hope he got it corrected or deep-sixed it somewhere.

My third is a Walther '43; it works perfectly and is in collector shape. I'm not afraid to shoot it, but I take care to clean it properly and preserve it for future generations. Here's a pic.

John