View Single Post

Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 AM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Sgt Lumpy,
There is a very fine line here. I hope I can explain my thinking clearly.

I believe that owning and carrying a firearm is a right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States. Because it's a right and not a privilege, I believe there should be no requirement from the government to carry.

I am a certified NRA Instructor. I have held a few classes and I've done a lot of impromptu training. I've seen a LOT of seriously stupid gun handling. Not all was done by stupid people. Much was from shear ignorance. So, I know the value of quality training and I believe that everyone who carries a gun should seek out the best training they can get.

Now, even though I think people should get training, I'm opposed to the government forcing that training on a person in order to exercise their right. Neither should a person be held to a higher standard because they have sought training; the law must apply equally to all. As soon as a different standard exists for a certain class of people, the entire idea of freedom breaks down.

I, like you, do indeed hold myself to a higher standard. Not because of what I carry, but because it's right. I stop at stop signs, I try to stay within the speed limit, I don't lie and I don't take advantage of people. I expect no more from my fellows than I expect from myself. By the same measure that I judge, I will be judged.

Cops, physicians, soldiers, lawyers and politicians all hold other people's livelihood in their hands. I expect them to do their jobs diligently and with the understanding of what happens when they do not. Garbage men, postal carriers, store clerks and tree trimmers may not have the same direct influence on a person's life, but I expect them to do their job to the best of their ability as well. Thus, I hold them to the same standard as I hold anyone.

So, no, I don't think a CCW holder should be held to a higher standard. If they break the law, they should be punished accordingly. The same should go for any person. I guess it could be said differently; I don't think those without a CCW should be treated more leniently because they don't have a license.