View Single Post

Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 PM

Liked 10,914 Times in 3,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik View Post
Ruger gained ground? I thought they caved to the mag limit. Didn't Bill Ruger himself claim that there was no need for a "large capacity magazine"?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Why, yes, I believe you are correct, and if I'm not mistaken, in a letter to members of the House and Senate on 30 March 1989, Mr. Bill Ruger stated the following:

"The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete, and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining "assault rifles" and "semi-automatic rifles" is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could prohibit their possession or sale and would effectively implement these objectives."

And, if am further not mistaken, in addition to the furor amongst Second Amendment advocates caused by the above-mentioned jewel of literary artistry, Mr. Ruger made comments during an interview with NBCs Tom Brokaw that angered gun rights proponents even further, by saying that "no honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun…" and, "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 and 30 round magazines…"

Interesting times, indeed.

History has been kind to Bill Ruger, and all this seems to have been forgotten, but not by me, a simple civilian.

Last edited by Warren Sear; 02-06-2014 at 06:34 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: