View Single Post

Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 AM
US Veteran

Liked 18,902 Times in 4,833 Posts
Default Opinions needed - Colt New Frontier

I have an opportunity to buy locally a 3rd Generation Colt New Frontier .44 Special 7 1/2" barrel. Its in about 95% condition with just a couple of small handling marks and does have the original box and paperwork. Although the box is a bit worn. Asking price is $1000.
I'm really on the bubble with this one. Been doing a little on-line research and the asking price seems to be $200-300 below what it should go for. Right or wrong? What do the folks here think it should sell for?
Here's the thing. On the one hand, I'm not really a SA kinda guy. But I have been thinking lately of trying one again. Particularly a Colt style SA. I'm also not a big fan of barrels over about 6" long. Anything longer feels a bit unwieldy to me.
On the other hand, it is a Colt and in one of my very favorite calibers, .44 Special.
Who knows, I may just fall in love with the thing. But, even if I don't, I'm thinking it could be a good investment. I could sit on it a few years and maybe resell at a tidy profit.
I'm afraid my knowledge of Colt Single Actions is quite limited. So I turn to the wealth of knowledge on this board.
If I buy, I need to act quickly or it may be gone.
So what say you wise forum members?
Buy or pass?