Thread: Wadcutters
View Single Post

Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 AM
Banned

Liked 274 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTrolleyguy View Post
How many load and use any type of wadcutter?

I'd like to know what kind of advantages wadcutters offer to the hand loader. I have fired factory semi-wadcutters and know it makes a clean cut in paper. But I came across statements that years ago LEO in some jurisdiction were required to use them. Are they more lethal than for example round ball? Have not seen any wc lately in LGS.

All my shooting is at indoor ranges. I always carry concealed (including bug) and I have plenty of defensive ammo on hand. Since I have mostly .38 & .357 cal revolvers I would be loading 38s to use at the range. I own .44s but would not load for them. I own two dozen Smiths with 2, 2 1/2 and 3 inch barreled revolvers. They are what I want to become more proficient with. I also have a smaller number of 4 thru 8 3/8 barreled revolvers.

Thanks in advance for any information.
The perception is that wadcutters present a full, bore diameter, sharp edged profile to the target. The same thing that causes wadcutters to be great at cutting clean holes it the same thing that makes them great at cutting into tissue and creating a destructive wound channel.
FACTORY loaded wadcutters are mild. Hand loaded wadcutters can be whatever the loader desires. Wadcutters will not have good downrange ballistics but can be VERY effective up close. Modern all-copper, huge hollow-point ammo is very much LIKE the classic hollow-base wadcutter loaded backward!