View Single Post

Old 02-27-2014, 09:23 AM
US Veteran

Liked 7,880 Times in 2,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Park View Post
Well, ok. Whatever you want to do is your decision and your responsibility. I have no desire to shoot someone that isn't threatening my life. If somebody slaps you, do you assume the right of deadly force? Where do you start assuming? If I don't feel my life is threatened, or I'm not in danger of grave bodily harm, the gun stays in its holster. Period. But you can feel free to proceed under any assumption you want. Whatever decision has to be made has to be made based on the facts at hand, not a theoretical discussion on an internet forum. I've been in one life or death situation, and it was pretty obvious. I just had no way to defend myself. I remedied that. I haven't gotten into a fight with anyone since the fourth grade.
I think we are comparing apples and oranges here. The way I read the OP he’s not talking about some random street fight he’s talking about being prepared for a surprise attack as in a mugging.

I haven’t been in an argument that escalated to a fight since I left the Army. If I'm practicing situational awareness I should see any situation such as an argument that might result in some unknown person punching me developing and avoid it.

It’s been my experience (notwithstanding the knock out game) that people don’t just walk up to someone on the street out of the blue and punch them unless they are attacking.

One of the key components of both my martial arts training and my firearms training has been avoidance and de-escalation if at all possible.

If I’m walking around with a gun I can’t afford to get into some random pissing contest with a stranger over some perceived slight, I have to be willing to be the one to back down every time. If a guy wants to yell at me for cutting him off in traffic I apologize and take the blame even if I was parked when he said it happened.

If I follow that course I shouldn’t have to worry about someone walking up to me and popping me in the eye.

Last edited by Smoke; 02-27-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Re Write
The Following 3 Users Like Post: