View Single Post

Old 02-27-2014, 12:14 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,801 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkitch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis The B View Post

The Python was a status symbol especially for some police officers. Carrying one denoted an elite status, if you will.
In the mid-80s, I was working with a couple of fellow lawmen in Georgia to round up some various folks who had sold drugs to an undercover narcotics agent (me). The city cop was a die-hard S&W man and he was obviously good friends with the county deputy who sported a 4" Python. They bantered about their choices incessantly. I will never forget how the deputy very dryly stated, "the reason S&W started making their guns out of stainless steel is that they conducted a marketing survey and found out that a lot of people were using them as trot-line weights".
In the 1970's, we played a lot of softball at the local FOP lodge field. Of course, a lot of cops played on various teams. There were several Jefferson County (Kentucky) police detectives who carried 4" nickel Pythons as their side arms. It was a definite status piece for a lot of guys. This was at a time when standard issue for detectives was a S&W Model 19/66 2.5".