View Single Post

Old 02-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Liked 4,433 Times in 1,463 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_san View Post
Because of the law requiring me to use an FFL to transfer my incoming guns, I have actually purchased quite a few guns in the store of the LGS that earned my transfer business with their cheap and easy transfer policy. Transferring is a gateway transaction, the smart business owner realizes this and welcomes customers, who may never have come in the door otherwise, with a decent transfer policy. The short sighted FFL acts like incoming transfers are stealing business from his store and drives away not only the profit from the transfer but from any additional purchases those customers might be tempted to make once in the store.

But let's be honest here, these LGSs should be very thankful that the federal government requires us to use an FFL to transfer a firearm as it's only thing that keeps many of them in business. If I could order guns directly from Amazon to my house without involving an FFL I'd rarely step foot in another gun store, just like I never go to Best Buy.
Have been on BOTH sides of the counter on this one-- before the internet, all you heard was the crying of how 'kitchen FFL
s' were a ruin to their business. Bull pucky -- Many of these places cannot or choose not to stock what people want, or need. Then they cry when we go somewhere else. When they DO get in something worthwhile, the mark it up over the top. I have seen it for 40 years so don't bother trying to convince me different. It is a tough business, if you are not up to it, maybe you should do something else. Case in point, shops that don't even open the door until 10 or 12pm, then maybe not at all. We all adjust to our own needs. If a shop owner is unwilling to adjust to the needs of the buying public, then-- I am sure most here know the drill. JMHO of course.