View Single Post

Old 03-02-2014, 07:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman10mm View Post
I’m new to reloading, and am looking for some advice on an issue I have been having.

I’m working with a Lee Classic Turret press, once fired WWB brass and 200 grain Missouri Bullets “Bullseye” LSWCs, loading dummy rounds, without primers or powder.

The rounds are 1.225 OAL, on spec per Hodgon’s charts.

When manually cycling the slide, the rounds consistently fail to feed. The cartridge is getting hung-up inside top the chamber. More of a two point than a three point jam.

I am belling the cases enough to receive the bullets without shaving a hair of lead off of them.

I can create rounds that feed by applying an aggressive crimp, resulting in a case diameter of .466-.467.

What am I doing wrong? Could I be over belling the cases?
Hi, I am new to this forum and I just joined a few minutes ago so I could help with your problem...if I could. You solved your problem and I did read the list of posts and your final response that you figured out how deep to set your bullets and eliminate feeding problems.

I just started loading 45 ACP for my Hi Point. (I got it to see if I like the caliber in a semi auto pistol and am planning to get another (more than one 45) if like it)). I loaded some heavy 45s for my Ruger Blackhawk and when I tried to chamber rounds in the HP they failed to feed, and failed to chamber because of the seating depth. I pulled a lot of bullets and did some experimenting and finally settled on 1.243" OAL and all problems went away. My bullets are Suters Choice Bullets and I buy them locally, but I prefer Missouri Bullets. I just needed them now so I got them locally.

I found what I believe is a reason for the hang-ups...exposed lead. Once the amount of exposed lead was minimized which allowed the case brass to contact the feed ramp instead of the lead, all problems went byebye. I think it is just that the harder metal of the case slides up the ramp easier than lead and with a chunk of lead sticking up above the case mouth the cartridge snagged on the ramp.

I also found that after stuffing the bullet down a bit farther, using Lee's 4th die of the set, the Crimp/Post Size Die squeezed the area of lead outside the case mouth down to the diameter that the case mouth gets crimped.

Now, a question: Anyone who can please field this: I see repeated mentions about crimp size or diameter etc...is this just a mic measurement at the end of the case mouth where the case is crimped?

Thanks for the good info. I will go to the check in station now and intro myself.