Thread: Forward Assist
View Single Post

Old 03-03-2014, 12:12 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -db- View Post
I'm not sure I understand your objection here. Furthermore, the scallop is on the bolt carrier, not the bolt. As explained, it exists to operate the dust cover. Anyone familiar with the mechanics of the AR understands this. That some have found they might, in certain circumstances (and only if one's thumb is small enough to fit in the ejection port), be able to utilize the scallop to attain a purchase with the thumb in order to move the BCG forward, is only incidental. The belief that the scallop exists in order to manipulate the BCG with a thumb is one of those internet myths that just won't die, apparently.
The objection is that Eugene Stoner designed the rifle without the forward assist as it exists today. The first M16s brought into the military were purchased by the Air Force, and they did not have the forward assist. The statement that Eugene Stoner advised to put your thumb in the scallop on the bolt carrier and push forward to close the bolt has been around a lot longer than the internet. (yes, earlier I said bolt... while technically not correct, everyone on here knew what I meant... kinda like buffer tube vs receiver extension.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -db- View Post
The forward assist generates much more force than can be applied with a thumb alongside the bolt carrier.
You are correct, however, that much force is not necessary in a properly functioning rifle. If your action has become so sluggish that you have to use the the forward assist to seat a round, you have an issue that needs to be resolved.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: