View Single Post

Old 03-20-2014, 02:04 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Jim View Post
If someone turn around a corner and see a guy holding another guy at gunpoint and think "hmmm I should grab my gun and join these fellas" than that person is idiot enough to be cleansed from the gene pool!
I don't think "idiot" is the right word here. I think "naive" is better. There was a time when people wanted to help other people. So, the instinct is to stop the fight, then figure out what's going on. Even if the guy with the knife turns out to be the defender, it's better to stop him before he kills someone. That will have long term legal and psychological ramifications.

Quote:
Two days ago in my neighborhood, about 3 miles away from my home...

Last month in a gang infested nearby town...

I say luckily because a few months ago next door 99 cents store...
Man, I'm glad I don't live near you. It sounds like a war zone.

Quote:
What if NO DOUBT something bad is going on but yet it is not direct threat to us.
This is not a simple answer. It will depend on the situation.
Can I end it with little or no danger to myself?
If I would have to shoot, is the line between me and the target, and beyond, clear?
What if I miss?

If I get injured or killed, that will have lasting effects to my family.

These "what if" scenarios are good to ask, but difficult to answer. It's good to think about these because it helps us prepare for situations just like the OP. It helps us develop the combat mindset. That keeps us thinking so, when the bad guy is waving his gun around, we already have a plan, know the layout of the area and where we can go.

Alas, there is no pat answer to them. Too many variables to resolve every possibility.