View Single Post

Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM

Liked 9,160 Times in 3,384 Posts

Dave Lanara in Ohio might be willing to take on a project like that.
He specializes in Colt SAA,, but generally from the restoration angle.
He'd most definetely be able to refit & restore the action to original specs including welding and recutting the hammer notches to new if needed.
All expensive work but that has to be done before any refinish/ restoration or upgradeing fancy stuff is considered.

The grips look like standard Bisley. The #5 IIRC used a Bisley backstrap and a SAA front strap. Some fitting is done to join them smoothly. Standard Bisley grips won't fit the #5 because of the marriage of different model parts and they are a custom grip venture.

Dave usually has quite a stock of various parts for restoration and repair. But again,I do not know if he would take on a custom upgrade as proposed beyond the repair/rebuilding of the revolver as it is.
Give him a call and see what he says.
If he doesn't want to take on the job,perhaps he can refer you to someone else he trusts.

Home

That (King) SAA Conversion pictured is interesting as it has a shouldered bbl w/step-down radius to it. Looks like Colt/Hartford markings on the side.
Might be a (late) New Service bbl as they are the same thread as the SAA,,just the shank is a bit different length but easily fitted.
The grip looks a bit thinner through the middle than the regular Colt SAA. Some of the repro 1960's imports from W.Germany had that look (Dakota,Liberty) and the longer 1860 grip.

I think the very few handful of original 22rf cal Colt SAA revolvers built were made with the 1860 size grip frame. Probably some others. But I don't recall them as being so thin through the waist as the gun pictured.

It also looks perhaps to have a Ruger style trigger spring behind the trigger inside the guard,,Small coil spring and plunger.
** Looks more like a simple trigger stop pin from the pictures in the link posted below
Could be all pieces of 'King's' work I'd guess.

Last edited by 2152hq; 03-21-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added**