View Single Post

Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 AM

Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 73 View Post
after shooting a wounded deer with low-velocity .45 T Series rounds and seeing the expansion from them (both rounds expanded perfectly), I have a feeling that the 9mm rounds at 950-1100 FPS would perform adequately even through clothing.
It's interesting that you mention the performance of the .45 ACP version. What I've noticed in most independent tests is that the majority of 45ACP hollow points from major manufacturers, even the older designs, tend to perform pretty well. I think this is a combination of the already lower velocities of 45ACP, bullet weight, and the wider bullet cavity that can be afforded in a larger bullet. Those 3 things tend to result in a bullet that is more likely to open up. Just the lower velocity of 45ACP means that the manufacturer has to design for that characteristic, which also tends to favor the shorter barrel carry pistols, even if that wasn't the intended goal.

However, the T series for other calibers such as .40 and 9mm have consistently shown failure to expand when fired through a "normal" clothing barrier that would commonly be encountered in a self defense scenario.

Like you say, shot placement is still the most important thing, an FMJ in the vitals is better than a hollowpoint fired on a miss into a dirt berm.

Here are some tests where the 9mm +P+ consistently fails to expand:
Winchester Ranger T-Series 9mm +P+ 127 gr JHP AMMO TEST - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC_mnlsM1nA

Unfortunately even the 40 caliber 165grn T series consistently fails to expand when fired through clothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylPtT5TCgUk

It's interesting to note that both the 165grn .40 cal test and TNoutdoor's 9mm +p+ tests were fired from guns with a 4 inch barrel, not exactly compact. Both still failed to perform even at the higher velocities.