View Single Post

Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 PM

Liked 81,880 Times in 18,491 Posts

Good advice, I knew you guys'd be upfront and honest.
I don't like to use the word disease but rather condition. If I say disease people back off like I'm a leper or something.

How about something like.
When I first came down with my condition, it was tempting to just sit around feeling sorry for myself.
However, being one to never give up on a challenge, I decided to develop an exercise plan to maintain my general health, reduce atrophy and improve my mobility.
I've found that regular aerobic activity along with resistance training has improved my ability to walk unaided and has improved my overall health.
I have a stationary bike in my livingroom that I ride to help with leg strength and keeping myself healthy.
I have drop foot on my right leg and weakness in my left hip flexor. My neurologist is willing to help me get one of those scooty chairs but I want to stay on my own two feet. I knew that I couldn't walk using the affected muscles so I spent a large part of last summer relearning to walk using the muscles that still worked. I don't use any special supports, just light sturdy 6" hiking boots with good ankle support.
I live near a resort that has an indoor aquatics center with lifecycles, resistance training equipment, an indoor pool, sauna and hot tubs. Plus they have affordable yearly memberships.
They also have water aerobics 5 days a week and hiking trails ranging from strenuous to handicapped accessible. At first it felt odd hopping around in a swimming pool with a bunch of biddies but it's a great way to get caught up on the local gossip. My wife goes with me when her work schedule allows and she's benifited from the exercise. I'm lookin' forward to strappin' on my boots and hitting the trails this summer.