View Single Post

Old 03-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,354 Times in 5,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
The 375 H & H (Holland & Holland) or the 12ga 400gr slug either one I think would do the job.

Today I don't hunt with anything under a 338win. mag. In my retired, old golden years I'm not built for running nor speed. I also believe the newer 338cal whizz bang improved calibers of today are replacing the old longtime faithful 375 H & H slowly but surely. The more the gun rags do articles on the 375 H & H the array of different New 338 rounds are there with it. The Winchester 338wm is also starting to take a back seat too.
With its 4,000ft.lbs. @ muzzle and 2,700ft.lbs. @ 200yards that's the muzzle energy of a 30-06 @ 200yds with a 250gr bullet . This grandpa of the 338calibers still can hold its own.

When I wanted to bump up my power from the 30-06 I went away from the 30 calibers. Even the 300win. mag. wasn't too far a head from the 30-06. I didn't want a baby step up in power I wanted a leap ahead in power.
The 375 H & H was next on my list but I liked the ballastics of the 338win. mag. This was before the new whizz bang calibers were offered.

Plus my hunting ethics instilled in me from my older brother my mentor is to make a quick clean kill. I don't want to give him a bee sting I want to drop him like yesterday's lunch on the spot. I don't like helping people look for there wounded bears they probably shot in the butt, we were in the monsoon type pouring rains looking for someone's wounded bear. It wasn't fun. We went out looking many times. The blood trail dried up. Seeing this told me it wasn't a boiler maker shot it was a butt shot were the fat closed up the hole.

A year later we caught a female bear coming from the Apple orchard going to her den on the ridge. When we butchered the bear I cut steaks and found a 30cal bullet in her butt that was healed over. This was the bear we were looking for in the rain. What scared me was the perfectly shaped 30cal bullet it had in her. It makes me think it was under powered.

Make your shots count.

I had one guy hunt with us who told me he could hit a bear five times with a 45/70 and kill it. I told my brother not to help him out until he wets his pants if he's that stupid. Then he told me if he helps me kill my bear it's his. I never invited him again. I seen my 338 bullet go threw the bear taking vitals out in its path breaking 3 ribs on the exit hole that the taxidermy had to sew up.
I been shooting and hunting with a 30-06 since I was 18 years old. I took my new 338 in '94 and put two bullets thru the same hole at 100yds. while sighting it in. My point is to practice, practice and more practice. Build up your shooting skills to the max level and keep it there. My '06 has about 1,000 rounds thru it now. Know your weapon before your life depends on it.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: