View Single Post

Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,599 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
There are people who have had zero issues, but there are also people who have had issues. I can show you several rifles that my father in law owns that were stored in cases, and the case held moisture and caused rust.

I can also show you a revolver that was stored in a leather holster and also has rust spots from the leather retaining moisture from the air.

Friend of mine "borrowed" my (tack driving) 10/22 for Rat/Pest hunting on the farm while I was on a road construction project years ago. He kept it in a soft case in the back of his closet (insted of his gun case like he said he would). Said it would never bother it. Turned the barrel into a pitted rust bucket. We ended up sandblasting it to bare metal,filling the craters with Epoxy and using Stove Pipe Paint to cover the damage. That was over 35 (??) years ago, it's still a tack driver and going strong. Although now, it's worth nothing more than sentimental value (got it for my 21st Birthday cost was $69.) and a lesson hard learned (by him). I did have the barrel tested before I went through all the trouble and work. At that time, another friend (and gunsmith) said if the barrel was replaced it would probably never shoot the same. Being it was "lightly" rust pitted,we could try the sandblast/epoxy trick.

It's lasted all these years. BUT,I would NEVER try doing that with a higher power barrel. I'm no Spring Chicken and the 10/22 is a good 42 years old now.