View Single Post

Old 05-05-2014, 05:34 PM

Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Question Rhetorician Follow Up Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
As I understand the current ammo situation, a much wider variety of .44 spl ammo is available than used to be, but you'll pay for it. The Speer 200 gr looks good in YouTube ammo tests and seems promising for SD, though a heavier bullet would be nice. Georgia Arms just shipped me 100 rds of LFP for $66 shipped; not bad. I also picked up a 50-rd box of Buffalo Bore 255 gr Keith hard cast LSWC advertised at 1000 fps -- just about perfect for a lot of things, including SD -- but it was just over $80 shipped! They like to package their stuff in styrofoam blocks, so the box was the size of a toaster.

If you do an AmmoSeek or GunBot search for .44 spl, you'll get the impression that no one else has components because Buffalo Bore is buying it all... which brings us (or me) to reloading. If you don't reload already, there's a fairly steep financial curve at the beginning for good and efficient equipment (buy used and save, but still), and then you too will be at the mercy of component manufacturers. If I were 30 instead of 60, I'd pick this caliber, reload it, and never look back because there simply aren't a lot of things it can't do as well as (or better than) the other popular calibers.

As for platform, I don't mind large framed guns -- I love the N -- or small ones (the Bulldog is OK, but you can't shoot hot stuff in it). The 5-shot L-framed 696 was a step in the right direction, but it's a transition design which means that it has cosmetic features of Smiths built past the time I care about. A 5-inch 24/624 with the cosmetics of a 27-2 would be wonderful, or a 2.5" 19/66 in .44. (I know the L frame is perfect compromise, but I never cared for the Python underlug.) As I speak, there's a Blackhawk in .44 spl at my LGS.

So, OP... the .44 special is a rock-solid caliber with a lot of history and potential, but in my opinion, the best/most attractive guns chambered for it are no longer being made, so be prepared to pay.
What about the Charter Arms .44 Special "just to get into the game?"

Let me hear from you?