View Single Post

Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

I don’t look at 41 collector info often enough to keep details in mind. I only shoot them so this reply is just to hold you over until you hear from our serious 41 members. Very generally early 41s had a cocking indicator above the back strap and may have muzzle brakes on the 7 3/8” [?] barrels. The common belief is that earlier is better but going by how mine have shot vintage doesn’t matter up until the shift of manufacturing to Maine. The low point for 41s was early Maine production which had Millet rear sights. The Millets were superseded by Bo-Mar look-a-likes and hopefully they got quality back under control. Regardless of vintage none of them are as reliable as 3rd generation centerfires but they can be very good. In equal condition I would gladly pay $100 more for a Springfield manufactured 41 but my one Maine built 41 was one of their worst so bear my bias in mind. Since the earlier 41 you are looking at is in lower condition you’ll have to decide for yourself if it’s worth $100 more. I’d probably put out the $100 but my negative experience with an early Maine built 41 may have been atypical.

Good luck. They’re nice .22s.
The Following User Likes This Post: