View Single Post

Old 05-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Liked 156 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightshooter2 View Post
Actually there is one and it's a Federal law. The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 aka 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(3)(A) states:

18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A):

It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

Exceptions

Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(B):

[18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A)] does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

My Georgia permit is valid in North Carolina but since I have to drive through a school zone to get to my son's house, my pistol has to be unloaded and in a locked container according to U. S. Code. Also note that LEOs, even though they have nationwide carry are not exempt from this law. Wonder how many LEOs are aware of this?

CW
I do not believe that driving down a public highway or street would constitute a school zone, however if you actually enter the school's property you would then be in a "school zone" a public safety issue is in place on speed restriction going near schools on public highways and streets but not 2nd amendment issues.