Thread: Taurus Bashing?
View Single Post

Old 05-13-2014, 06:18 PM

Liked 1,574 Times in 578 Posts

Earlier, somewhere in the S&W forums, I detailed my trauma of dealing with Taurus guns.
Summary:
Former employer bought 12 Model 92s. FTF, FTE, FTFeed, key-holing, dreadful accuracy. The armorer gave up on them.
I bought 4 of their .22 Mag revolvers. Key-holing; dreadful accuracy; couldn't rotate the cylinder after 18 rounds; pitched parts. Taking 'em back to the dealer taught me what he REALLY thought of them, when he offered coffee money to buy them back.
Model 100 I got as a donation. FTFeed; keyholing; incredibly poor accuracy - not exaggerating: one-meter groups at 10 meters range. Back to factory TWICE. Came back second time with a note saying it met all specs and was fine. And with a new barrel and lockwork. Works fine, very accurate. Fun, beautiful, wouldn't trust it.
.44 Special revolver. Fail to fire 1 out of 5. Trigger felt like a tank track. To factory, came back fail to fire TWO out of FIVE! To local gunsmith. Fail to Fire 1 out of 10, trigger better, but still so ****** it was hard to hold the gun on target while pulling it. Sold it to someone to whom I gave full disclosure.
Model 92 Compact, gift from a colleague in Italy. Worked fine for him, worked fine for me, turned down many offers to buy it.
Raging Bull: cylinder won't lock into the frame unless forced. THEN it just might fall out anyway. Turned out the metal in the crane is so soft it can't be dressed with a file - it just melts away. We took it apart and found the cylinder base pin (cylinder axle) looks as though it was fitted with a rasp file. A pin for the cylinder stop bolt was bent and the spring was so soft it barely operated the bolt. It's a very pretty door stop.

Miami JBT wondered if any agency issues them. I regret I don't remember the name of the agency, but I was at the Oconomowoc (WI) Sportsmans Club during a SWAT contest some years ago, telling someone my Taurus tales of woe and a person who identified himself as a police officer said his department issued them and they were fine. He then derided Sigs as suffering from cracked frames. I can't say he's wrong about Sigs, only that my employer bought and issued several dozen over a number of years, 228s, 226s, 229s, 220s, 239 (9mm & 357Sig), and not one ever suffered a failure of any kind, and we beat the **** outta them.
Used Beretta 92s frequently show up at reasonable prices, and I'd save the extra few bucks, if necessary, and buy one of those before I'd buy anything by Taurus.