View Single Post

Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 AM

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

That does sound like a beauty of a 22/32 KG, Model of 1953 New 'I' frame.

Are you sure the Historian told you it was made in 1955, or it shipped in '55? The value sounds right IMO, if it's a round butt, and the serial # on the back of the right grip matches the gun's.

Getting a letter is like buying a lottery ticket; you have a very small chance of finding out much more than the ship date, store/location shipped to and the original configuration, barrel length, etc.. You'll get a little info on the evolution of that model. Most only get the letter when there's a question about some option being an original factory installed item. Some hope that it went to a celebrity or other unique destination. I'd keep the $50 for a more questionable piece, and it takes about 4 months to get the letter.

You can read all about it's evolution here:

P.S. If you start a new thread next time, you're likely to get more responses.
Thats what I thought I heard. I'm not a Smith expert and I dont know much about them. My collection consists mostly of Colts. Like I said this gun is a beauty and in perfect working order. So if it did ship in 1955 when do you think it was made? the serial number on the but matches the one on the cylinder. I will have to check the grip panel. Thanks for your response.