View Single Post

Old 05-23-2014, 05:12 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,601 Times in 8,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger8021 View Post
Thats what I thought I heard. I'm not a Smith expert and I dont know much about them. My collection consists mostly of Colts. Like I said this gun is a beauty and in perfect working order. So if it did ship in 1955 when do you think it was made? the serial number on the but matches the one on the cylinder. I will have to check the grip panel. Thanks for your response.
Ranger,

They were a new hot item back then and although designed and labeled Model of 1953, the first #101 didn't actually ship until early 1954. So yours was probably built and shipped within the same month. And although my # 21209 is near your #, it didn't ship until March 1956, they were not shipped in serial # order and sometimes way out of order! Mine has a 4 screw sideplate including one under the right grip panel. The top screw was deleted later in 1956, but does yours have 3 or 4 screws?

To confirm original parts, check for your 6 matching serial # locations for fixed sight pre war Hand Ejectors and all post war Hand Ejectors until ~1956.
NOTE: Observing serial #s for accuracy or even existence, especially on penciled stocks, requires magnification, bright light, and an attitude that it is there!

1. Gun butt - or forestrap on I frames/single shots with grips that cover the butt

2. Barrel - bottom of barrel or in extractor shroud

3. Yoke - on rear face only visible thru a chamber with a flashlight

4. Extractor star - backside

5. Cylinder - rear face

6. Right stock only - on back; stamped, scratched or penciled depending on vintage and stock material. (except most target grips because individual fitting not required.)

*NOTE: The one TRUE place you can be sure of reading the serial number, including letter prefixes, is the BUTT of the gun, (or Front grip strap on non-round butt .22/32 & Regulation Police pre Model of 1953 I frames). The number on the butt may be drilled thru by the factory for installation of a lanyard ring but is re-stamped on the grip frame, under the left stock. Factory installed rings are always 1/10” forward of center.

I collect Colt's too, especially SAAs but also 1911s and 1926s (1911A1s in military speak); but not a single DA.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 09-07-2016 at 04:20 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: